Individuals living with cancer and managing the symptoms and side effects related to treatment, are at greater risk of unemployment than the general population.
It is important for service providers, health professionals and employers to provide assistance to help cancer survivors overcome their current barriers and make a timely return to appropriate, sustainable work. IPAR’s Beyond Cancer program aims to provide that assistance.
Beyond Cancer is an evidence based, holistic rehabilitation program. It aims to reduce the impact of symptoms, enhance wellness and help survivors to successfully remain at or resume work. The program is specifically tailored to each person’s unique needs, and may include:
- Positivum™ cancer assessment to identify current life and work challenges
- Education in symptom management
- Health coaching (setting goals, managing stress, increasing resilience and managing pain)
- Exercise Physiology
- Return to work planning and engagement with the workplace
The results of a pilot program were formally assessed by Monash University, and found:
- 64% of the sample improved their certified capacity, leading to
- 86% of those improving work status and return to work relative to referral